Spring can Mean Wet Basements in Iowa
What are we in for after this Iowa Winter?
Iowa’s weather can be unpredictable, especially during the winter months. Temperatures may rise and fall giving you little time to protect your home from the damaging affects of snow and ice. As spring approaches, the snow and ice begin to melt. This causes water to accumulate around your home and seep through wall cracks in your basement. Not only does water affect your basement, it causes damp crawlspaces that lead to mold growth and buckling floors. Water can have damaging affects on your home’s structure, walls, and foundation. Don’t let this happen to your home.To guard your home from water damage, hire WCI Basement Repair. Waterproofing your home is not a job for your local handyman, you need to contact a professional. Our team of experts are fully trained to inspect your home to determine the source of your water leaks and provide the best basement waterproofing solution for your Iowa home.
Before you hire a waterproofing company to access your home for water damage, try these water prevention tactics. Homeowners usually can prevent the source of water damage by controlling the following issues:
- Check rain gutters and downspouts. Make sure they are in good condition without cracks and dents. Clean gutters on a regular basis by removing debris and leaves.
- Plant landscaping several feet away from the foundation. Roots from trees and shrubs will dehydrate the soil and cause cracks to form in the foundation.
- Check your soil for proper grading. It should be away from the foundation at a slope.
- Fix water leaks and plumbing issues to avoid soil erosion.
Iowa homeowners can prevent some water issues by regular home maintenance. Water damage caused by foundation failure is a serious issue that requires immediate attention. As the snow melts, look for signs of major water damage such as standing water in the basement or crawlspace. Also look for the following:
If you notice any of these signs, contact WCI Basement Repair immediately. Your home may need adequate basement waterproofing and foundation repair.
Basement Waterproofing in Iowa
There are ways you can avoid a wet basement in spring. At WCI Basement Repair, we offer effective basement waterproofing solutions to keep your basement dry from melting snow and ice. Our waterproofing products are made by Earth Contact Products, the leading waterproofing company in today’s industry, so we guarantee the best on the market. Our methods include:
- Interior Drainage – Interior drainage systems are an effective water management system that eliminates excess water from around and beneath your foundation. The installation process involves excavating and replacing the slab edge. A drain pipe is installed underneath the slab to drain the area to a lower level. The products needed to install interior waterproofing consist of a perforated drain pipe, water channel, sump pit, sump pump, vapor barrier, and a system clean-out.
- Exterior Drainage – Exterior drainage systems are designed to stop water from surrounding your foundation where most foundation problems are formed. Water takes the path of the least resistance, which may be your basement, and causes the concrete slab to absorb water. As the concrete becomes saturated, moisture and water vapors enter the home. Over time, this leads to mold growth and structural damage. At WCI Basement Repair, our exterior drainage system includes: waterproofing membranes, dimple drainage boards, drain pipes, pipe fittings, sump basins, sump pump discharges, and more.
- Sump Pits – Sump pits are a vital part of waterproofing. They contain a hole in each side for incoming drain tile systems with a sealed lid. As water fills the sump pit, a float activates the pump and water is expelled outside. The sump pit recollects water for the next cycle.
- Sump Pumps – Sump pumps are designed to collect and discharge water away from your foundation. Our sump pumps are energy efficient and effective. We get the latest in the waterproofing industry, so you guarantee they will last for many years to come.
- Battery Back-Up Pumps – If your power goes out due to a storm, don’t worry. We have battery back-up pumps that continue to work until your power is restored.
- French Drains – Our French Drain system is designed to control groundwater by directing it away from your foundation. They can be installed behind retaining walls to decrease ground pressure. French drains are ideal for older homes that don’t have an adequate waterproofing system.
Don’t risk a flooded basement. Hire WCI Basement Repair to locate the source of your water leaks and determine the best waterproofing solution for your home. We serve Iowa with quality service at competitive prices. Contact us today so we can prepare your home for spring!